By Rick Garner
Founded by Ambrosio Rosales and Aurelio Lopez, Casa Herradura is one of the oldest and most respected producers of tequila, which many believe, delivers the world’s highest quality, most authentic tequila experience because of the expertise and leadership it has developed since 1870.
Located and produced in the heart of Mexico’s tequila region, in the tiny town of Amatitan, Jalisco, Tequila Herradura is 100% blue agave tequila carefully crafted using traditional methods, such as cooking the agave in clay ovens and fermenting naturally with wild yeast.
This sophisticated process delivers a rich, smooth and unexpected taste that evokes memories of our agave fields. Tequila Herradura is all natural and estate bottled and includes: Herradura Silver, Herradura Reposado, Herradura Añejo, Herradura Selección Suprema
With this portfolio of ultra premium products certain to satisfy even the most discriminating palate, Tequila Herradura, imported by Brown-Forman of Louisville, KY, can be appreciated as part of a margarita or other mixed cocktail, by itself in a snifter, or as an ingredient in one of many delicious summer recipes.
CASA HERRADURA BEEF ARRACHERA (Grilled Garlic-Marinated Flank Steak with Lime) by Chef Mark Williams
o 3 pounds flank steak
o 3 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
o 3 tablespoons olive oil
o ½ cup Casa Herradura Reposada Tequila
o ¼ cup fresh lime juice coarse
o Salt to taste
Use when grilling:
o 1 tablespoon coarse salt
o ½ tablespoon ground cumin
o ½ tablespoon ground black pepper
Whisk together marinade ingredients above Marinate steaks, covered and chilled, at least 30 minutes and up to 1 day. Prepare grill. Season steaks generously with seasonings and grill on a rack set 5 to 6 inches over glowing coals 2 to 3 minutes on each side for medium-rare, or cook in a sauté pan set over medium high heat for the same amount of time. Transfer steaks to a cutting board and drizzle with lime juice. Let steaks stand, uncovered, 5 to 10 minutes and with a sharp knife cut diagonally across grain into thin slices. Serve steak with sauce below.
CHIPOTLE PICO DE GALLO
Servings: Makes about 3 cups
• 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
• 2 teaspoons minced canned chipotle chilies in adobo sauce
• 4 garlic cloves, minced
• 2 cups chopped seed tomatoes
• 1 cup chopped onion
• 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
• ¼ cup Casa Herradura Tequila
Combine fresh lime juice, chipotle chilies and minced garlic in large bowl. Add chopped tomatoes, onion, tequila and fresh cilantro. Season to taste with salt. Let pico de gallo stand 1 hour at room temperature to allow flavors to develop.
Named for the refreshment it provides, the Herradura Splash combines the sweet flavor of pineapple, tangy flavor of cranberry and the rich taste of Herradura Silver making it perfect for the hot summer season. The Herradura Splash is a burst of flavor that is sure to make anyone feel relaxed while they lounge by the pool, lake, on the sand or just about anywhere outdoors.
• 1.25 ounces Herradura Silver
• 2 ounces Light pineapple Juice
• 2 ounces Light cranberry Juice
• Splash of diet lemon-lime soda
In a cocktail shaker, add ice, tequila, juices, lemon-lime soda, and shake. Serve over ice.
HERRADURA SUGAR AND SPICE MARGARITA (great accompaniment for outdoor barbeques and grilling!)
• 2 oz Herradura Reposado
• ½ oz Agave nectar
• ½ oz Fresh squeezed lime juice
• 1 oz Mango Juice
• Cayenne salt (mix cayenne to salt ratio of 1:4)
Garnish: Cayenne salt rim
1) Gently wipe a lime wedge round the rim of a chilled coupe glass and lightly press into a plate of cayenne salt; take care to shake off any lumps of cayenne.
2) Place add liquid ingredient into a cocktail shaker, fill with ice and shake vigorously.
3) Strain into a chilled coupe glass taking care not to disturb the cayenne salt rim
Garnish: Cucumber disc and a mint sprig
1) Place mint then cucumber into a cocktail shaker and gently crush with a muddler.
2) Add the Herradura Silver, simple syrup and lime juice to the shaker.
3) Fill shaker with Ice and shake vigorously to break down the mint and cucumber
4) Strain through a fine strainer (to remove all the little bits of mint) into a Hi-ball glass filled with cubed ice and top with soda.
5) Garnish with a cucumber disc and a mint sprig.
For the latest news from Tequila Herradura, visit www.facebook.com/HerraduraTequila.