Privateer Rum Summer Cocktails
By Rick Garner
In just one short year, Privateer Rum, has become one of the most talked about new distilleries in Massachusetts. Launched by Andrew Cabot in June of 2011, Privateer Rum has already received numerous accolades. Privateer continues to grow and its True American Amber and Silver Reserve are available in restaurants, clubs and liquor stores throughout MA, and here are some of Privateer’s favorite warm weather cocktails to try at home!
- 1.5 ounces Privateer Silver Rum
- 2 ounces ruby grapefruit juice
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup
- rosemary sprig
Shake first three ingredients in a shaker, and serve over ice with a sprig of rosemary.
THE PERFECT STORM (Our version of a dark and stormy except lighter and more refreshing)
Equal parts of Privateer Silver Reserve Rum and ginger beer
Optionally, lightly muddle in two leaves of sweet basil. Pour over ice.
- 1.5 oz Privateer Rum (either Silver Reserve or True American Amber)
- 6 fresh cranberries (or 2 oz cranberry juice) .5 oz apricot liqueur
- .5 oz ginger syrup
- .5 oz fresh lemon juice
- orange peel for garnish
Muddle fresh cranberries in a cocktail shaker. Add remaining ingredients. Shake well with ice. Double strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with orange peel.
WATERMELON COOLER Summer in a glass. Light, crisp and refreshing. Perfect for sitting on a porch or under a tree on a hot summer day.
- 1.5 oz Privateer Silver Reserve Rum
- 3 oz Watermelon puree (just put watermelon chunks in a blender)
- .5 oz simple syrup (or white granulated sugar)
- splash of lime juice
Strain if you like or else serve thick over a glass with ice. Garnish with sprig of mint.
GARDEN OF GOOD AND EVIL
- 3 oz Privateer Silver Reserve Rum
- light squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- 3 sprigs of tarragon
- 2 slices of cucumber + garnish
- splash of club soda
Muddle rum, tarragon and cucumber in a shaker. Add ice. Shake well and strain into an old fashioned glass. Add light squeeze of lemon juice and top with club soda. Garnish with thin slice of cucumber and enjoy.